George Washington Carver (formerly Columbian) School photographed in 2008. It has changed very little since the 1920's.
Excerpt from The History of the Oranges to 1921, Volume III, by David Lawrence Pierson:
Meeting the demand for school facilities in the northeastern part of the town, known as Ampere, the Board of Education laid out a new district in 1892, which extended from William street on the south, north by the Parkway to Park avenue, west to Clinton street, north to the Bloomfield line and east to the Newark line. The country was celebrating the 400th anniversary of the discovery of America by Christopher Columbus, and in his honor the building was named Columbian.
It was built at the corner of Grove street and Springdale avenue, and was first occupied in the spring of 1893. There were eight rooms in the building. The plot measured 100 feet on the latter thoroughfare, 390 feet on the southerly side and 200 feet on Grove street. Dairy farms surrounded the school and only three houses were standing north of Springdale avenue. A pasture land extended southerly, including land between Fourth avenue and Nineteenth street, and open fields stretched westerly to Arlington avenue.
Completed at a cost of $30,000, the building was used by the kindergarten, first, second and third grades. One hundred pupils were enrolled on the opening day. But the population was increasing and in 1897, the first eighth grade class, consisting of sixteen pupils, was graduated to the High School. Then it became necessary to transfer the seventh and eighth grades to the Eastern School till 1902, when the school was again given the grammar standing.
A portable building was used in 1912 for primary classes till the new addition on the southeast corner was occupied, and in April, 1913, three class rooms and the principal's office were completed on the first floor. Frank S. Coe has been the only principal since the school was organized. A custom established at the graduation to present a gift to the school, has added greatly to the collection of works of art. The value of the plant in 1920 is $210,050.25.