The East Orange Riding and
The Orange Riding and Driving Club was incorporated June 8,
1892 and rented a riding academy on North Clinton Street for its
meetings and for horse riding classes. In February of 1895, the
building shown in the photo was constructed at 9 Halsted Street
and it then became known as the East Orange Riding and Driving
Club. It was an "L" shaped building with a rear outlet
onto Prospect Place (which was cut into by the #280 Freeway and
the grounds are now the Shop Rite Parking Lot). In its glory
days, the club held annual autumn horse shows, races, and offered
a place for residents to exercise and stable their horses (which
were owned by most residents during that era). By 1918, the
automobile was competing with horses for the streets and winning,
so the club closed its doors.
Map of the location today.
Orange Historical Map in a