In 1776, during the Revolutionary War, a group of Hessian
soldiers chose Caleb
Baldwin's barn to spend the night. When they laid their heads
to rest on a large bundle of hay, the hay was not as soft as the
soldiers had expected. Digging down into the hay, they discovered
several barrels of Caleb Baldwin's whiskey.
The next morning, a group of Regular British soldiers came
upon the surly, drunken Hessian soldiers and they, too, enjoyed a
few drinks of their own. The street became known as Whiskey Lane
until 1850, when it was changed to its present name of Grove
We don't know exactly when this old handrawn map was made,
but it must have been between 1776 and 1850! First Road is called
Main Street (or Martin Luther King Blvd. in East Orange) today.