INTRODUCTION TO THE STAINED GLASS WINDOWS
The narthex and sanctuary of Christ Episcopal Church are
greatly enhanced by the artistry of our thirty-six stained glass
windows. They are thoughtfully arranged in a plan conceived by
Rev. Charles Hutchinson, during his thirty-six years as the
church's rector. In our windows, the biblical story is retold and
the deeds of evangelists, apostles and saints are remembered.
The windows depicting Matthew, Mark, Luke and John are the most
recently installed windows in our church.
Many of our windows along the east and west sides of the
sanctuary and the window in the narthex just outside the entrance
to the sanctuary were designed and constructed by Heaton, Butler
and Bayne. Their glass studios in London and New York were one of
the most important studios from 1855-1960. They were leaders in
the revival of the Gothic style. The windows from this studio are
heavily painted antique glass, many with elaborate canopies. They
are, no doubt some of the oldest windows in our church.
The Payne Spiers Studios, Paterson, NJ designed and constructed
the windows in the rear of the west transept. The windows at the
rear of the east transept are signed by Hardman Studios, England.
All of these windows are painted antique glass.
The St. John window on the east wall is the work of J & R
Lamb Studios, New York. It was constructed using multi-layered
opalescent glass. Only the flesh of this figure is painted.
Documentation has not been located verifying that the Sunrise
Rose Window is a Tiffany window, however appraisal information
strongly suggests that this is the case. It is seven feet in
diameter and is made of multi-sized amber glass nuggets, ½ to 1
½ inches in diameter.
Text and photography by Judith A. Gordon, 2008